There are many benefits to organic food which are listed below. This is a controversial area and at the end of the day you will have to make up your own mind as to what you believe. However my nutritional health programs are based around the principle of detoxification of the body. There seems little point in cleaning up your body to facilitate healing if you then replace those toxins with contaminated foodstuffs. Also several of the pesticides commonly detected in foods are ‘endocrine disruptors’ upsetting humane hormone mechanisms. This is associated with falling sperm counts in males, early puberty in girls, and hormone related female conditions. There is now evidence that pesticides can damage unborn children. I believe Organic is a better choice for this reason.
Advantages of Organic Food
- You are not ingesting pesticides, poisons and herbicides.
- There are no residual antibiotics or growth hormones in organic meat or milk
- Fillers are not used to bulk up foods
- Organic food tends to taste better and have more flavour
- Irradiation is used on non-organic foods to kill bacteria and it alters the molecular structure and live properties of the food
- Organic food is non-GM (genetically modified)
- Organic food is pure with no artificial colours, flavours, additives, preservatives, sweeteners
- Organic food is healthier with a higher nutrition content, more vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids
- Pesticides in foods have been linked to several diseases: cancer, obesity, alzheimer’s, and some birth defects to name a few
- There are also environmental aspects such as fewer chemicals in the soil leading to less erosion of the countryside and pollution of our rivers.
- Organic farms grow a mix of crops and therefore encourage a balanced Ecosystem.
- Organic farming supports local farms and farmers, and the local economy
- There are emotional benefits in feeling good about eating something that is pure food, healthy for you, and tastes better than processed food plus you are helping the environment
It is worth remembering that the beneficial effects of eating large amounts of fresh fruit and vegetables outweigh the risks of pesticide exposure. Eating conventionally-grown produce is far better than not eating fruits and vegetables at all. The table below illustrates which fruit and vegetables tend to have the highest concentration of pesticides, and will help you determine which fruits and vegetables are the most important to buy organic. So if your budget is limited try and buy organic versions of those which are generally associated with highest concentrations of pesticides. You can lower your pesticide intake substantially by avoiding the 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables and eating the least contaminated produce.
|Highest amounts of Pesticide residue
(buy these organic)
|Lowest in Pesticide|
3 Sweet bell peppers
13 Green beans
2 Sweet Corn
6 Sweet peas
12 Sweet potatoes
Data provided by Environmental Working Group (EWG) – Shopper’s guide to pesticide in produce 2012.