Iridology – a useful tool in health assessment
There are no good or bad iris pictures – they are simply a map of potential. It is what you do with what you’ve got that’s important
The iris of the eye is an extension of the brain containing hundreds of thousands of nerve endings, microscopic blood vessels, muscles and other tissues. These nerve endings originate in specific organs or systems and are connected to the brain. Thus the iris is connected to every organ and tissue of the body through the brain and the nervous system.
The eye works in two ways: it brings images of the outside world within and also shows images of what is within to the outside. Delicate nerve fibres in the iris respond to changes in body tissues.
We look for marking and signs, colouring, features in the iris. When found or observed these then related to relevant part of body.
Each part of the Iris relates to a particular area or system of the body. Iridologists use a complex chart or map showing bodily organs in their relative anatomical position.
The innermost organs surround the pupil. The stomach and intestines can be found directly outside of the pupil and in the areas leading towards the outer rim, the heart, pancreas, adrenals, and gall bladder can be found. The more external organs such as the brain, lung, liver, kidney, thyroid, and muscles are found closer to the outer most periphery which is represented by the skin.
So what problems can we identify?
- Nutritional deficiencies in the body. The problem usually begins in the stomach where insufficient hydrochloric acid is available to begin the breakdown of food into nutrients. Conversely, an overacidic stomach which can develop from improper food combining and stress also causes nutritional deficiencies.
- Poor gut conditions, problems of small intestines, inflammation, parasites etc. Also toxic bowel or poorly functioning bowel.
- how well the eliminative channels of the body are working. i.e. bowels, lymph, liver, kidneys, lungs, skin
- General constitution and susceptibility to disease
- Inherent strengths or weaknesses of organs, glands and tissues. The iris will reveal those areas of the body needing cleansing and nutritional support. The weaknesses and strengths of the tissues are shown by the density of the iris fibres. For example, densely interwoven fibres indicate areas of inherent strengths and loosely woven fibers especially marked by large circular separations indicate weaknesses. Weaknesses generally indicate a slower metabolism, in which nutrients are not used as efficiently and waste products are not carried away as rapidly.
- Toxic settlement in the organs, glands and tissues. Evidence of toxic settlement appear as discoloured areas, and dark spots and flecks. These represent chemical residues of prescription drugs and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals; pesticides; food additives; home and garden chemicals; cleaning agents; polluted air; and water. These weakened constitutional states can be passed down from generation to generation. For example, a grandfather who worked in a coal mine or the pregnant mother who was employed in a chemical plant could pass on this predisposition to disease. Whereas the darkest spots are inherited deposits, the lighter rusty coloured patches are deposits accumulated in this lifetime.
- Inflammation in the body. Inflammation reveals the presence of irritants which are not being taken care of through the body’s normal immunological defense system or elimination channels. For example, the lungs which are an important elimination channel can undergo excessive mucus buildup which often leads to conditions such as the common cold or bronchitis. A mucus build-up in the joints can lead to arthritis and in the stomach, gastritis. We often see whiteness in the corresponding area in the iris which is a sign of decreased tissue function or possible inflammation and infection. Mucus build-up prevents proper absorption of nutrients and waste elimination.
- Physical and Mental Fatigue and Stress. Signs of stress on the body are easily identifiable by observing stress or nerve rings surrounding the pupil. These rings develop as a result of prolonged periods of unrelieved physical or mental stress. Five or more stress rings indicate a high risk for nervous exhaustion and breakdown.
Colour is a good general indication of the sort of ailments a person might be subject to. For example a blue iris usually indicates that this person is highly influenced by their lymphatic system. Often there is sluggish lymph flow and poor drainage, and this manifests itself as excess mucous, catarrh, swollen glands, sinus problems, ear infections, throat conditions and skin problems. Lymphatic types may also be sensitive to their environment which leads to allergies and conditions such as asthma. Those with very blue eyes tend to have acidic body tissues which can set the scene for conditions such as rheumatism and arthritis later in life.
This iris indicates a generally good constitution, but very acidic body tissues. There is some inflammation in the gut and leakage of toxins into the rest of the body. Lymphatic tissue is likely to be prone to congestion.
There is also indication of toxic material and degeneration in the glands of the neck area.
This person was in fact suffering with a cancerous growth in this area.
True Brown eyes are densely pigmented and it is not so easy to see detail. However these individuals tend to have a chronic general progression towards ill-health. They tend to need more vitamins and minerals. Glandular disturbances, blood and circulation disorders are more common. They are more prone to the formation of cysts and tumours.
Most Brown eyes are in fact a mixture of blue and brown pigments. Mixed eyes tend more towards digestive disorders, liver and gall bladder weakness, and blood sugar imbalances.
This is a picture of a mixed eye. It demonstrates that for this individual the hormonal system is very key to any health issues. There is also pancreatic weakness indicating likely problems with blood sugar balance.
So hopefully you can see what a very useful tool Iridology can be. It can provide clues and pointers as to the origins of your health conditions, or be used as an early warning system to highlight areas of potential weakness.